From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:46:04
1 On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > IMO this is a fdisk "bug". A feature should be added so that it tries to
4 > align optimally in most circumstances. RAID controllers should not be trying
5 > to do anything clever to accommodate potential misalignment unless it is
6 > really cheap to do so.
7 >
8 > Stroller.
9
10 We think alike. I personally wouldn't call it a bug because drives
11 with 4K physical sectors are very new, but adding a feature to align
12 things better is dead on the right thing to do. It's silly to expect
13 every Linux user installing binary distros to have to learn this stuff
14 to get good performance.
15
16 - Mark