From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:07:43
1 On 07/17/2012 07:19 PM, Leiking wrote:
2 > 64bit means bugs.?? But I use 64.
3 >
4 > 2012/7/17 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>:
5 >>
6 >> On Jul 17, 2012 10:08 AM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >> --- >8
11 >>>
12 >>> IMO, it's worth the 'overhead' to run 64-bit, if only for the greater
13 >>> number of GPRs and other architectural improvements. There's honestly
14 >>> a lot of good stuff in x86-64 beyond the larger address space. The
15 >>> increased address space also helps long-lived programs avoid address
16 >>> space fragmentation.
17 >>>
18 >>> --
19 >>> :wq
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> +1 on architectural improvements.
23 >>
24 >> From a purely data-wise view: with 64 bits, Long Integers will be handled
25 >> much faster than having to manhandle 2 32-bit chunks of half-integers.
26 >>
27 >> Rgds,
30 Bugs. This is why I wanted to get an answer to this question specifically.
31
32 I've been using Gentoo since one year and with amd64 only. But recently
33 (if you noticed), I'd posted a thread about lot of segfaults.
34
35 As much as I was compelled to think that something is really wrong with
36 my hardware, a similar segfault bug occurred on an _amd64_ Gentoo VM
37 with Linode I manage, that too with a program that had been working ever
38 since I installed it, and there were no updates as such.
39
40 But from the inputs I received, I think it would be obviously better to
41 stay with 64bit.
42
43 Is it only me or the ~amd64 branch has become really unstable in the few
44 days? (Yeah I know ~amd64 can be unstable to any extent it wants to, but
45 just a qualitative question)
48 Nilesh Govindrajan
49 http://nileshgr.com