From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:06:08
1 On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 12:19:06 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:43:13 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Alan McKinnon
5 > > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:08:05 +0700
7
8 > > Reading the wicd homepage it looks like it could help, but how many
9 > > hours am I going to have to invest to get it running? Understand that
10 > > I've already dumped maybe 10 hours into getting here. I figure I'll
11 > > need another 10 hours of work - reading web pages, trying things out
12 > > and failing - before I feel like I should ask a question here, so
13 > > that's 20 hours minimum. Please understand that wireless was working
14 > > on this machine in Windows in under 10 minutes - not 20 hours!
15
16 Well, it could as little as 10 minutes to configure the /etc/conf.d scripts,
17 for a particular AP (less than a minute if you've done it before) although it
18 could take as long as 20 hours if you *want* to become expert at the most
19 convoluted configurations.
22 > Windows does it the right way for a mobile workstation, and wicd
23 > follows the same general idea.
24
25 I am not sure that the vanilla scripts are much different to be honest (except
26 that they don't come with a GUI).
29 > At boot-up , a wicd daemon starts, this is the thing that does the
30 > heavy lifting and runs as root.
31 >
32 > When the user's DE starts, you run the wicd-client. It comes with a
33 > sensible config dialog where you set sensible stuff like
34 > wired interface takes priority over wireless
35 > use wireless APs that have been sen before in preference to new ones
36 > buttons to define pre-and post-connect scripts if you need them
37 > when the client has decided what it's gonna do with your connections,
38 > it requests the daemon to do it. It's all very well-thought out and
39 > obviously designed with the needs of laptop users in mind. Sort of like
40 > NetworkManager working properly without the issues of NetworkManager.
41
42 I have used NetworkManager in Kubuntu, but don't recall having any problems
43 with it.
46 > For me, it all just worked out of the box and connected every time to
47 > all APS - WEP, WPA, even the weird funky corporate BS thingy someone
48 > installed at work. Took about 10 minutes :-)
49
50 Same here with the gentoo scripts and wpa_cli, or wpa_gui - should I fancy a
51 GUI to look at.
54 Obviously wicd seems to be more user friendly than fiddling around with init.d
55 scripts and permutations, but in my head it's just a front end to such scripts
56 and wpa_supplicant . . . Have I got this wrong?
59 PS. I'm not advocating the use of anything other than the tool that suits
60 each user - thankfully Gentoo still gives us options in this area. ;-)
61 --
62 Regards,
63 Mick