From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Completness of AVR toolset in dev-embedded?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:53:32
1 Petr Kocmid <Petr.Kocmid <at> project-bhairava.org> writes:
4 > I wander, what's the point of having (noncompilable) dev-embedded/avr-libc in
5 > portage when there is no avr-gcc nor avr-binutils?
6
7 No good reason for this....
8
9 > However, I found some overlay ebuilds for avr toolset at
10 > http://gentoo.zugaina.org/erazor-zone/dev-embedded.html.en
11 > going to try it.
12
13 Well, in my experience with Gentoo, what's available in portage, is a function
14 of what the 'devs' are interested in. Indeed every packages in portage
15 needs an evangelist to keep it current and correctly patched. It seems that
16 none of the devs are much interested in firmware, assembler, (8-16) bit
17 micro-Controllers and many things related to embedded software development.
18 The answer is to find an embedded person that can 'get qualified' as a dev
19 thereby supporting the needs of the firmware community, in my opinion.
20
21 It's a *DAM SHAM*
22
23 Micro-Controllers, state machines and minimal executives are the heart of where
24 electronics meet computer science.
25
26 I often used Debian, as it seem to much more agressive in supporting the needs
27 of the embedded communities.... Other gravitate to LFS (linux from scratch)
28 or other distros that are more interested in supporting the needs of the
29 embedded communities.
30
31 There is a gentoo-embedded group, but it seems to be limited to
32 x86 and PPC architectures.
35 If I'm really desperate, I look at bugs.gentoo.org to find folks that
36 have posted bugs, revision update requests, and such and send them
37 email directly for ideas, and patched software builds.
38
39 'Portage Overlay' is often used when a person, with embedded tendencies,
40 attempts to create/hack an ebuild for the greater embedded community. We
41 are orphans with Gentoo.
42
43 YMMV
44 (peace to all)