From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 21:39:41
1 >> It's time to switch hosts. I'm looking at the following:
2 >>
3 >> Dual Xeon E5-2690
4 >> 32GB RAM
5 >> 4x SSD RAID10
6 >>
7 >> This would be my first experience with multiple CPUs and RAID. Advice
8 >> on any of the following would be greatly appreciated.
9 >>
10 >> Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
11 >> install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
12 >> controller?
13 >
14 > Exactly what RAID controller are you getting?
15 >
16 > My personal rule of thumb: on-board RAID controllers are not worth the
17 > silicon they are written on. Decent hardware raid controllers do exist,
18 > but they plug into big meaty slots and cost a fortune. By "a fortune" I
19 > mean a number that will make you gulp then head off to the nearest pub
20 > and make the barkeep's day. (Expensive, very expensive).
21 >
22 > Sans such decent hardware, best bet is always to do it using Linux
23 > software RAID, and the Gentoo guide is a fine start.
24
25 I'm told it will likely be an "Adaptec 7000 series controller".
26
27 >> Since RAM is so nice for buffers/cache, how do I know when to stop
28 >> adding it to my server?
29 >
30 > When more RAM stops making a difference.
31 >
32 > The proper answer to your question is "mu", meaning it can't really be
33 > satisfactorily answered with the info available. Only you can really
34 > answer answer it, and only after you have examined your system in
35 > detail. But, assuming you will use this hardware for mostly routine
36 > normal tasks, 32G RAM is heaps and should be plenty for a long time to come.
37 >
38 > Nothing you've ever posted leads me to believe you need crazy amounts of
39 > RAM. It's not like your business model is to eg load every public blog
40 > at wordpress.com with all comments and store it all in an in-memory
41 > database :-)
42
43 In that case maybe I'll go with 16GB instead. It's easy to add more
44 later I suppose.
45
46 >> Any opinions on Soft Layer?
47 >
48 > Never heard of it.
49 > What is it?
50
51 It's a host in the US. I should have said so.
52
53 http://www.softlayer.com
54
55 - Grant