From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kde menu
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:10:17
1 On 7/21/06, Leonardo <leodp@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On the 'not so happy' side I think I have found only minor
3 > things; the biggest point is I don't have a 'consistent' kde
4 > menu:
5
6 I think you will find that Gentoo follows the $upstream releases much
7 more closely than other distributions...
8
9 > some applications with GUI are missing from the menu
10
11 ...so if some GUI application doesn't have a .desktop file provided by
12 $upstream, Gentoo probably will not have it.
13
14 However it is perfectly reasonable to file bugs in bugs.gentoo.org
15 about this, and request a .desktop file be added. It is even better
16 if you can make a .desktop file yourself, and attach it to the bug
17 report.
18
19 > some are present twice
20
21 Did you preserve your ~/.kde directories from another system? If so,
22 you may have .desktop files there that account for the duplicate
23 entries.
24
25 > the categorization itself is somehow dis-organized, with some entries showing an
26 > 'other' child menu, listing applications that could fit also in the parent menu
27 > (things like kde->graphic->other).
28
29 Not sure what you mean by "other". I have "More Applications"
30 sub-menus, but no "Other" menus. But assuming this is what you mean,
31 this is controlled by the X-KDE-More category in the .desktop file.
32 Again, this is a case of Gentoo following $upstream more closely.
33
34 If you really don't like this, you can:
35
36 find /usr/kde/3.5/share/applications -name "*.desktop" -exec \
37 sed -i -e "s/X-KDE-More;//g" {} \;
38
39 But bewarned, gentoo will then refuse to remove the .desktop files
40 when you go to a new KDE version, since their mtime and md5sum will no
41 longer match what gentoo thinks they should be. So you may have to do
42 a bit of manual cleanup from time-to-time. Or you can use quickpkg to
43 make binary tarballs of the KDE packages, and then re-install from
44 those, which will fix the mtime/md5 sums in the package database to
45 match what you changed.
46
47 -Richard
48 --