From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can emerge play a sound on either a successful/unsuccessful build?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:46:53
1 On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:52:57 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > I have a laptop churning away in the loungeroom doing an
4 > "emerge -NuD world" whilst I'm in my office, amongst other things
5 > composing this email. If my world update fails, I won't know until I
6 > look at the screen in the other room. Is there a way to get emerge to
7 > play a song depending upon the status of the emerge build?
8
9 Using portage hooks, either globally in /etc/portage/bashrc or per
10 package in /etc/portage/package.env. I have this in bashrc to warn me of
11 failures
12
13 register_die_hook ebuild_failed
14 ebuild_failed {
15 do something foreboding
16 }
17
18 I actually have it send an alert to my phone with Posterous but you can
19 do whatever you want.
20
21 I also use package.env to alert me when particularly
22 time-consuming ebuilds, like LibreOffice and Chromium, have completed
23 successfully.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Profanity, The Language of Computer Professionals.