From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] IPTABLES syntax change?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 00:50:28
1 Many years ago, I understood IPCHAINS, and the first versions of
2 IPTABLES. However, IPTABLES has followed the example of Larry Wall's
3 Practical Extraction and Reporting Language
4 and turned into a pseudo-OS that I barely comprehend. Some rules
5 that I added many years ago were designed to reject unsolicited
6 connection attempts (after whitelisting my small LAN)...
7
8 -A ICMP_IN -p icmp -m state -j UNSOLICITED
9 -A TCP_IN -p tcp -m state -m tcp -j UNSOLICITED
10 -A UDP_IN -p udp -m state -j UNSOLICITED
11
12 Now these all give me the error message...
13
14 WARNING: The state match is obsolete. Use conntrack instead.
15 iptables-restore v1.4.16.3: state: option "--state" must be specified
16
17 "man iptables" suggested "man iptables-extensions". As near as I can
18 tell, the "new and improved" way is...
19
20 -A ICMP_IN -p icmp -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j UNSOLICITED
21 -A TCP_IN -p tcp -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -m tcp -j UNSOLICITED
22 -A UDP_IN -p udp -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j UNSOLICITED
23
24 This appears to work, i.e. it doesn't cause iptables to fail. Does
25 this do what I think it does (reject unsolicited connections)? The
26 reason that I'm asking is because I'm simply not sure.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications