From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GPT newbee needs some help
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 20:59:07
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 20:11:00 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
4 >
5 > > First determine if the motherboards is a Bios or EFI variety.
6 > >
7 > > Then, decide which bootloader you are going to use:: grub(legacy) grub2,
8 > > lilo, gummi, EFI, etc etc? Last, how many different distros will you
9 > > ultimately be booting off that disk.
10 > >
11 > > Then with that data, decide which formatting tool to use. (Others will
12 > > disagree with this logical progression, which is good as long as they
13 > > refine there reasons, explicitly.)
14 >
15 > I agree up until the last paragraph. You can use gdisk and a GPT whether
16 > you are using BIO or EFI. The difference is in your first partition. For
17 > EFI it must be type EF00 and formatted with FAT. For BIOS booting you
18 > need to start the disk with a small BIOS compatibility partition of type
19 > EF02. This is 1M here and you don't format or use it, it just has to be
20 > there.
21 >
22 > Regarding the apparent lack of partitions, what does gdisk -l /dev/sde
23 > show?
24
25 And if its not your boot disk, you can still use gpt with no
26 restrictions which is what I have been doing.
29 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
30 How do
31 you spend it?
32
33 John Covici