From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:24:15
1 2010/8/27 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>:
2 > On Friday 27 August 2010 09:49:41 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:
4 >> > Hi folks,
5 >> >
6 >> > I been putting this off but it looks like the newer kernels are going to
7 >> > push me to changing this real soon. I have a older system, Abit NF7 2.0
8 >> > motherboard with the older IDE drives. I'm still using the older IDE
9 >> > drivers. This is what I have currently:
10 >> >
11 >> > hda Actual hard drive OS on this
12 >> > hdb Actual hard drive Not in use
13 >> > hdc Actual hard drive home partition
14 >> > hdd DVD burner Duh! It's a burner.
15 >> > sda Actual hard drive connected through a SATA PCI card. Misc stuff.
16 >> >
17 >> >
18 >> > So, hda has the Gentoo OS on it and hdc is my /hone directory. I have
19 >> > videos, mp3's and various other data on sda. Currently hdb is not being
20 >> > used, since for those who keep up with my threads would know, it is the
21 >> > one that is terribly slow. Something along the lines of 10Mbs/sec or
22 >> > something of that nature. It's just hard to get out of the case right
23 >> > now and I can't get to it with a hammer either. :/
24 >>
25 >> You can at least disconnect it then.  Right now all it does and eat
26 >> power, heat the case and make noise :-/
27 >>
28 >> > My theory is something like this: hda will become sda; hdb will become
29 >> > sdb; hdc will become sdc; hdd will become sdd; and sda will become sde.
30 >> > Would that be a logical expectation?
31 >>
32 >> I'd say sda will stay as is, hda will become sdb, and so forth.
33
34 This entirely depends on the way your BIOS orders your drivers, as far
35 as I know. It could be either way. But, we all know how flexible grub
36 is. You can just use TAB to autocomplete and try. All you need to boot
37 is your root fs, after that fdisk -l will reveal all the info you
38 need. fstab is another story, that might cost you an extra reboot into
39 a livecd to fix it.
40
41 But, using labels as said will fix all the problems (beforehand) for
42 you, as said.
46 Jesús Guerrero Botella