From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 04:08:30
1 Paige Thompson:
2 > You know I don't think thats going to happen because if you look at
3 > layman its not as if they didn't think of using git for package trees;
4 > all of them do use git.
5 >
6 > A good example of why I don't think they will be using git for portage:
7 > ``git clone https://git.kernel.org'
8 >
9 > This takes a very long time and a lot of bandwidth and a lot of space.
10 > Why move data that isn't going to be used? With rsync I believe you can
11 > exclude categories:
12 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Exclude_categories_from_emerge_sync
15 That is uninformed.
16
17 check the --depth option of git. You can even clone specific tags with
18 --depth=1.
19
20 Shallow clones are fully supported and you can push from them.