From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS and hp OfficeJet Pro
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:12:42
1 On Thursday 18 March 2010 21:55:14 Dale wrote:
2 > James wrote:
3 > > Dale<rdalek1967<at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > >> [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r1 USE="X acl avahi dbus gnutls
5 > >> java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl tiff zeroconf -kerberos -php
6 > >> -samba -slp -static -xinetd" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja
7 > >> -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
8 > >
9 > > I could not help but notice the avahi and zeroconf flags. I do not
10 > > see them. Do I have to install mono-zeroconf and avahi to see those
11 > > flags?
14 > > Do you find them useful? What applications are using avahi/zeroconf ?
18 > > curiously,
19 > > James
20 >
21 > I think avahi is a KDE thing. I don't really know what zeroconf is. If
22 > I recall correctly, some package said it had to have that so I turned it
23 > on. No clue what it is even after looking up the definition with euse.
24 > May as well be Greek. ;-)
27 Avahi, mDNSResponder and bonjour are all apps implementing zeroconf - allowing
28 network discovery. Say you want to find a printer on the network, then you can
29 ask out loud and your app will "discover" them using DNS technologies without
30 the printer admin having to tell you the name. Normally, you have to know the
31 printer is there and either know it's name or IP to find it. These apps remove
32 that limitation. It is also completely unlike Windows broadcasts.
33
34 avahi is the Gnome app
35 mDNSResponder was a KDE-3.5 thing built into kdelibs, with KDE-4 they have
36 switched to using either avahi (with mDNSResponder support enabled) or
37 mDNSResponder itself
38 bonjour is a MacOs app
39
40 zeroconf is not an app, it is a USE flag telling kde-libs to build support for
41 this auto-discovery. It will use avahi or MDNSResponder depending on what it
42 finds.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com