From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Python forced upgrade
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 17:32:06
1 Hi all,
2
3 I had an older machine "appliance" (mythtv-frontend) that hadn't had an
4 update in a while (migrated to 29.1 yesterday/today.)
5
6 I searched around on the mailing list as portage advised updating itself
7 but it got itself in a circular dependency with python and wanted to
8 install an unstable version of portage as a result, which I didn't want.
9
10 After wasting 30 minutes waiting for portage to calculate dependencies
11 (using --backtrack=1000) I got po'ed and forced python to install using
12 --nodeps. This worked, I was able to install portage and continue
13 updating my system from there.
14
15 The problem is there's no more python-updater to make sure that python
16 is in a sane state. Any suggestions for making sure python is actually
17 in a sane state?
18
19 Dan