From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT: FreeBSD migration, what to do with /usr/local
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 06:29:46
1 I think I have written here previously that I want to move my _server_
2 to FreeBSD. I am still thinking about that. But now I hit an
3 obstacle. For a long time, I have put my local kiddie scripts in
4 /usr/local. For better or worse, they are written in my dense style
5 where any code duplication is avoided, and so they call one another a
6 lot.
7
8 But as you know FreeBSD directory hierarchy is different: /usr/local is
9 for Packages and Ports. I must move my scripts somewhere else to not
10 conflict with P & P. So the first problem is to come up with a
11 location. What does a typical BSD admin do in this situation? I don't
12 want to put them in my home directory because they're general purpose;
13 at the very least I use them both as root and as an unprivileged user.
14
15 A more serious problem is how to find all the situations where
16 /usr/local is baked in. It's not as simple as grep because when I
17 could, I relied on the implicit PATH which would be configured somewhere
18 else, or it might not even be configured - it might be compiled in (I
19 think this is the case for some programs in the shadow package, and
20 perhaps PAM modules).
21
22 I don't think I can expect a simple answer, but if you ever faced such
23 transition yourself, how did you approach it?
26 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
27 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
28 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.