From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT - How to work with USB DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:57:11
1 --- Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > --- Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > My internal CD-R drive has been experiencing
6 > > steadily
7 > > worsening power fluctuations over the past year or
8 > > so.
9 > > I haven't been able to write CDs in Windows in
10 > > months, but until recently could still write them
11 > in
12 > > Gentoo. I ordered a Pacific Digital USB
13 > > DVD-RW/CD-RW
14 > > drive on August 1 and it came in today. I'm not
15 > > quite
16 > > sure how to go about using it though. I mainly
17 > use
18 > > xcdroast for writing CDs (I make daily backups and
19 > > write them to CD once a week.) I use GNOME, and
20 > > although my new drive shows up in the
21 > "computer:///"
22 > > nautilus listing, it is not available to be
23 > selected
24 > > in xcdroast - it's not listed at all. I don't
25 > even
26 > > know where to start looking for the solution to
27 > this
28 > > problem. Can anyone help me?
33 > [Hmm...in a shell, as the root user, you'll need to
34 > [determine what cdrecord likes.
35 > [You may need to try -
36 > [
37 > [ cdrecord -scanbus
38 > [ cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA
39 > [ cdrecord -scanbud dev=sg
40 >
41 > [Generally, USB attached drives show up as SCSI
42 > [devices, thus an - "ls /dev" will return
43 > [a list with an sdx, where x is a,b,c, etc.
44 >
45 > [Bob]
48 I had to copy and paste the above reply from the
49 archives because I never actually received the post
50 in my email and had to re-subscribe to the list this
51 morning.
52
53 The device is listed as /dev/sr0, but that's about
54 as much as I can determine about it. I want to use it
55 with xcdroast, but xcdroast lists my two internal
56 CD-R drives (neither of which can write to CDs because
57 of the power fluctuations and a few other problems.)
58 My usb drive isn't even listed...
61 For what it's worth the only command listed above that
62 shows my external drive is this:
63
64 baby ~ # cdrecord -scanbus
65 Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
66 1995-2004 J\uffffrg Schilling
67 cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r6
68 cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5
69 and newer.
70 cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try
71 Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
72 Linux sg driver version: 3.5.33
73 Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
74 scsibus2:
75 2,0,0 200) 'TOSHIBA ' 'CD/DVDW SD-R5372'
76 'TU53' Removable CD-ROM
77 2,1,0 201) *
78 2,2,0 202) *
79 2,3,0 203) *