From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:02:51
1 On 12/08/13 13:19, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-11 2:38 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 11/08/13 21:13, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> There was a blocker (small b) because virtual/udev needed sys-fs/udev
5 >>> and
6 >>> that gave a blocker that uninstalled eudev.
7 >
8 >> I believe it's 'b' if user doesn't have sys-fs/eudev in
9 >> /var/lib/portage/world, but 'B' if he does
10 >> As in, difference is soft and hard blocker depending if the wanted
11 >> implementation is recorded in the world file or not
12 >
13 > Well, in my opinion, that just seems wrong. Why does it prefer udev, if
14 > *neither* is in the world file?
15
16 Because it's the default in virtual/udev
17 (/usr/portage/virtual/udev/udev-206-r2.ebuild)
18 As in, sys-fs/udev is the default of Gentoo
19
20 > In my opinion, it should be a 'B' blocker in both cases. It absolutely
21 > should not automatically uninstall eudev and install udev, potentially
22 > leaving the system in an unbootable state.
23
24 Portage doesn't work like that. If you step outside of the defaults, you
25 need to record them in your world. It's sort of the logical step to do.
26
27 > But... as long as the conflict is there (for those who actually look
28 > for such things) and I can deal with it appropriately - ie, if a small b
29 > blocker and it wants to remove eudev and install udev, I just wait until
30 > ...
31 >
32 > Hmmm... so is it eudev that would need to be updated to 'fix' this? Or
33 > virtual/udev? Or both?
34
35 When new version of sys-fs/udev is released with incompabilities with
36 sys-fs/eudev, then new virtual version is created and dependencies
37 inside of it set to compatible versions
38 And if there is no compatible version available, then the version is set
39 to non-existing future-version number that /will be/ compatible with it
40 Which is exactly what happened earlier and will happen again
41
42 - Samuli