From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't connect to router with 3 different interfaces
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:05:18
1 On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:23:24 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> I have 2 different USB wireless network adapters and an internal
5 > >> PCIe adapter and none will connect to a Jazztel router I need to
6 > >> connect to on the road. I've tried several different kernels.
7 > >> I've tried restarting the router and I've verified that the WEP
8 > >> password is correct by logging into the router itself (good ol'
9 > >> admin/admin) but wicd always gives me the "bad password" message.
10 > >> dmesg isn't very informative. All I get is from the internal
11 > >> adapter (with debugging enabled for the driver) after each failure
12 > >> is:
13 > >>
14 > >> L1 Disabled: Enabling L0S
15 > >> Radio type=0x1-0x2-0x0
16 > >> wlan0: link is not ready
17 > >>
18 > >> Does anyone know how to figure this out?
19 > >
20 > > I would try setting a static IP on the client in wicd... maybe
21 > > something in the DHCP session between the router and client is
22 > > wonky.
23 >
24 > I thought the same thing and tried that but it didn't end up working.
25 > The good news is I got it working by doing this in /etc/conf.d/net:
26 >
27 > modules="!wpa_supplicant"
28 > ssid_wlan0="SSID"
29 > key_SSID="s:PASSWORD enc open"
30 >
31 > I couldn't get wpa_supplicant working either but maybe I didn't take
32 > enough time with the config. I guess this was a wicd bug? I love it
33 > when working on something all day long actually pays off.
34
35 When working with wicd, rule 1 is delete all /etc/conf.d/net
36 and /etc/init.d/net*
37
38 They just interfere with wicd and make your life miserable (as you
39 found out)
40
41 There are always exceptions of course, like VBox and tun/tap interfaces
42 and so on. But for regular eth and wlan stuff wicd alone does the job,
43 and it never works when openrc is trying to get in the mix too
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com