From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo VMWare image works on Intel but not AMD. Are they not interchangeable?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 00:08:53
1 I have a VMWare Workstation image of Gentoo Linux that I transfer between my
2 desktop and my notebook (for LAMP/Ruby development) and it works fantastic
3 on both. Both are running WindowsXP as the host VMWare. Both are Pentium4.
4
5 Recently, I tried to share the image with a co-worker and it pukes out about
6 the time it does some udev stuff at the top of starting up. The (rc.init ?)
7 scripts start breaking and spewing lots of errors and ultimately doesn't
8 mount the filesystem properly. We are able to manually mount it later, but
9 then lost of other things are broken. VMware doesn't have any errors we
10 could find, not even in the logs. It seems to be an OS issue.
11
12 Does the host CPU make a difference? I thought it was all emulated? I tried
13 to recompile the kernel with the generic '386 CPU settings and removed all
14 power mgmt etc, and the same issue happens.
15
16 Can I not transfer between Intel and AMD CPUs? Is there some magic thing in
17 the kernel I need to set so it can work on both?
18
19 We attempted several times and tried using VMWare player and also VMWare
20 workstation.
21
22 It would really suck to have to have him re-compile everything just to get
23 the same dev environment setup as mine.
24
25 I also posted this on the VMWare forums in case anyone cares:
26 http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=71079
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list