From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:08:31
1 On 2014-02-21 12:33 PM, thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 02/20/2014 08:06 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Thinking about this more, since apparently using a separate profile
4 >> may just be 'overkill', how about something simpler, like, for
5 >> example, using eselect...
6 >>
7 >> Something like:
8 >>
9 >> # eselect init list
10 >> Available init systems:
11 >> [1] OpenRC *
12 >> [2] systemd
13 >> [3] runit
14 >>
15 >> (whatever choices are supported).
16
17 > +1 from here
18 > Personally i'm most likely to stay with openRC, because the switch is
19 > non-trivial and have no faith in the xinetd-style socket arbitrator.
20 >
21 > but would eselect be able to script the following:
22 > .. new kernel coptions
23 > .. new grub2 command line
24 > .. install dbus (use=-systemd)_then_ systemd
25 > .. would be nice to use an import for localed and hostnamed and timedated
26 > .. importing openrc services and runlevels to targets
27 > .. pamd logind entires
28 > .. syslogd changes to accomodate systemd
29 > .. setting systemd to log to syslog to make transitions smoother (as
30 > logs are lost on reboot by default)
31 >
32 > and then the reverse for 'undo' ?
33
34 Well, there are two aspects to consider: new install (where most of the
35 above are not an issue), and switching back and forth.
36
37 Only a dev can answer your questions with respect to the latter.
38 Everything Canek and others were saying led me to believe it was more
39 trivial/less work than your questions suggest, so I'll just have to
40 leave the answers to those who know so much more than I...