From: Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easy (cough) way to build earlier gentoo-sources 3.18.x kernel?
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 09:41:40
1 Sorry folks - I guess I've made a right "dogs dinner" of this whole thread...
2 I'll make more efforts not to be "that noob" next time :-)
3
4 But I've got the information I needed about how to build old
5 gentoo-sources kernels. So thanks!
6
7 I've done my tests and the outcome is:
8
9 3.8.8 (gentoo-sources - manually built)
10 = NO nfs suspend issue
11
12 3.8.9 (gentoo-sources - manually built - nfs specific patches, removed
13 from 1008_linux-3.18.9.patch)
14 = NO nfs suspend issue
15
16 3.8.9 (gentoo-sources, stock)
17 = boot hangs with pNFS block error
18
19 3.8.10 (gentoo-sources, stock)
20 = nfs suspend issue
21
22 Anyway that's pretty much what the ML thread was kicked off to achieve
23 - so thanks all! Plus I've written a
24 little script for ordered patch application - so that might come in
25 useful at some point :-)
26
27 Just wondering in passing what the motivation is for kernel eclass
28 dropping support for automated
29 building of, what many would consider, very recent kernel revisions?
30
31 Could support not be retained (for renaming kernel versions to build
32 older revisions)
33 - but say masking off these versions as not security patched / maintained?
34
35 Personally I was quite surprised I couldn't just rename the stock
36 gentoo-sources ebuild to say
37 gentoo-sources-3.18.8.ebuild to pull that kernel revision with
38 automated patching...
39 But perhaps I'm just showing my inexperience / naivety in this matter?
43 All the best & thanks,
44 Robert