From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to build a static application binary?
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 23:09:02
1 On 2010-12-03, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Dec 3, 2010 11:14 AM, "Grant Edwards" <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2010-12-03, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Gotta love gcc!
7 >>
8 >> It's not gcc's fault.
9 >
10 > Iirc there a bug in glibc that makes it almost impossible to create
11 > static binaries with it.
12
13 Yes, that's my understanding as well. Some design change somewhere
14 between glibc4 and glibc6 makes it impossible to to static linking in
15 any meaningful sense of the term.
16
17 > I can't look the the sources of that info atm, but it be easily found
18 > with google. Do the other platforms you use gcc to build static
19 > binaries with use a different libc?
20
21 Yes. That's how I know it's not gcc's fault: I can build static apps
22 with gcc/binutils using a different libc.
25 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! A shapely CATHOLIC
26 at SCHOOLGIRL is FIDGETING
27 gmail.com inside my costume..