From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amarok only masked with ~x86 keyword
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:51:02
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Damian <damian.only@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Thanks Paul and Alan for your advices.
3 >
4 > OT:
5 > For me it's hard to drop amarok because I cannot find all of its
6 > funtionality in one player. For now I'm using mpd+sonata. They're
7 > great, but it's just not the same. I guess eventually I'll make my own
8 > player :P
9
10 I'm a long-time user of KDE3-Amarok and the new Amarok is taking some
11 time to get used to... I do not like at all the way it sorts your
12 collection, it seems to be trying to be too smart. I don't have an
13 assortment of random songs, I have albums, and it's very difficult to
14 get them to display as such. I had no problems in the old Amarok.
15
16 The fact that half the screen is reserved for docking of plug-ins or
17 widgets or whatever is kind of annoying... It is not intuitive how to
18 arrange them. For example, there is a lyrics plug-in but it only shows
19 about 4 lines of text, which makes it annoying to the point of being
20 useless (unless I want to scroll line-by-line during the entire song).
21
22 Last.fm works much better in the new Amarok, however. It never quite
23 worked right in the old one. Loving/banning/skipping songs is all very
24 easy now.
25
26 The big problem I have in Amarok 2 is that it has 2 big major problems:
27
28 1. It randomly stops playing and uses 100% until I kill it. This seems
29 to happen not-so-randomly if I try to skip 2 songs in a row. It may be
30 buffering or something. The old Amarok had a similar problem,
31 actually, but it would just crash.
32
33 2. It randomly (usually after 5 songs or so) stops producing any
34 sound, though it acts like it is still playing. One song will finish
35 and the next will "start" but be silent. Quitting Amarok and
36 re-starting causes the sound to work again, for a few songs, and then
37 it goes silent.
38
39 Overall I would say at this poin, other than the Last.fm support, I
40 prefer the old Amarok in almost every way to the new one. UI was
41 better, performance was better, display of collection was better.
42 Maybe there are some new features that I'm not aware of that might
43 make me love Amarok 2.
44
45 Thanks,
46 Paul