From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:34:19
1 On 11/30/21 12:58 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > What I noticed in dmesg is that it takes the old name, eth0 for
3 > example, and then renames it to the new name.
4
5 I don't know if it's the /kernel/ that does the renaming, or not based
6 on the kernel parameter, or if it's something else very early in the
7 boot that does the renaming.
8
9 > Well, if one moves things around and eth0 becomes eth3 then doesn't
10 > that mess up the new name as well?
11
12 My understanding is that the new name is -- supposed to be -- based off
13 of some property of the device. I assume that said property is from
14 something akin to where lspci gets it's data. Probably something
15 exposed in /proc and / or /sys via the actual driver that ultimately
16 gets feed into the renaming routine.
17
18 > That could be why you see the results you have.> It's hard to base
19 > a name on something that is changing itself.
20
21 My understanding is that the new name is supposed to be completely
22 independent from and not derived using the old name. So the old naming
23 should have no influence on the new name.
24
25 > It would seem to me that if they were going to change things for real,
26 > they would change what the kernel names it in the beginning and it uses
27 > the name it was first given based on slot or something else unique.
28
29 Agreed. As in have the driver instantiate the device with the new name
30 from the outset.
31
32 > In other words, have the kernel assign it enp2s3 or whatever when
33 > booting and that is the only name it gets.
34
35 Yep.
36
37 I don't know /why/ or /where/ the failure is with the new names. I just
38 know that I have seen instability in them. Seeing as how stability ~>
39 predictability is the motivation for the rename, well, that's a failure
40 in my opinion.
41
42 Besides, it's a LOT easier to /just/ `tcpdump -nni eth0` when logging
43 into a machine than it is to have to figure out the interface name first.
44
45 That being said, I was okay with what CentOS 6.x did, where the new name
46 was matched against the MAC address. I had eth0 based on MAC for
47 outside and eth1 based on MAC for inside on a number of systems.
52 Grant. . . .
53 unix || die