From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [slightly O/T] mysql problems
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:05:49
1 On Wednesday 15 Oct 2014 02:14:37 Kerin Millar wrote:
2 > On 14/10/2014 23:25, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 14 Oct 2014 21:15:48 Kerin Millar wrote:
4
5 > >> * Have you upgraded MySQL recently without going through the
6 > >> documented upgrade procedure? [1]
7 > >
8 > > I'm still on mysql-5.5.39
9 >
10 > OK. If it has always been running MySQL 5.5, there's nothing to be
11 > concerned about.
12
13 No, sorry I wasn't clear. I have been upgrading mysql on this machine for
14 some years now, always running stable versions. After each update I run:
15
16 mysql_upgrade -h localhost -u root -p
19 > >> * Have you otherwise removed or modified files in the data
20 > >> directory?
21 > >
22 > > Not as far as I know. I have suspicions of fs corruption though (it's
23 > > been running out of space lately and I haven't yet found out why).
24 >
25 > Not good. Which filesystem, if I may ask? XFS is preferable, due to its
26 > very good performance with O_DIRECT, which ext4 coming in second. Other
27 > filesystems may be problematic. In particular, ZFS does not support
28 > asynchronous I/O.
29
30 ext4
33 > In any case, go into /var/lib/mysql and check whether the file that it
34 > mentions exists. If it does not exist, try running:
35 >
36 > DROP TABLE `website1@002dnew`.`webform_validation_rule_components`
37 >
38 > If that does not work then try again, using DISCARD TABLESPACE as
39 > opposed to DROP TABLE. Note that the backtick quoting is necessary
40 > because of the presence of the @ symbol in the database name, which
41 > would otherwise be misinterpreted.
42
43 Hmm ... I'm probably not doing this right.
44
45 First of all, there is no local database /var/lib/mysql/website1, because this
46 is the live website name, on the shared server. I only have
47 /var/lib/mysql/website_test on the local dev machine.
48
49 Then although I can see, e.g.
50
51 -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 8939 Oct 14 19:25 actions.frm
52 -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 98304 Oct 14 19:25 actions.ibd
53
54 in /var/lib/mysql/website_test, if I try to run DROP TABlE, logged in as
55 (mysql) root, I get an unknown table, error 1051.
56
57 =========================
58 mysql> USE website_test;
59 Reading table information for completion of table and column names
60 You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
61
62 Database changed
63 mysql> DROP TABLE `website1@002dnew`.`actions`;
64 ERROR 1051 (42S02): Unknown table 'actions'
65 mysql> DISCARD TABLESPACE `website1@002dnew`.`actions`;
66 ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
67 that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
68 'DISCARD TABLESPACE `website1@002dnew`.`actions`' at line 1
70
71 I think in mysql-5.5 I should be using DROP TABLESPACE instead?
72
73 PS. This is the only database I have problems with. There are another dozen
74 or so which I have imported in a similar fashion and there are no errors in
75 the logs about them.
76 --
77 Regards,
78 Mick