From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Installation, Kernel Panic
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 06:12:26
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:09:31 +0300, Andrejs Igumenovs wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm attaching the screenshot of what happens…
5 >
6 > Why have you zipped a JPEG file? It makes it far more work for anyone to
7 > view.
8 >
9 > You probably haven't compiled the driver for your disk controller into
10 > the kernel (not ass a module).
13 > --
14 > Neil Bothwick
15 >
16 > Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?
17
18 Sometimes the disk order gets messed up on boot. My first disk (as per
19 SATA bus) sometimes gets the letter sdb instead of sda. The solution
20 is to use disk labels. Label your file systems (e2label, if you're
21 using ext* FS, or xfs_admin for xfs).
22 Uncomment DISKLABEL="yes" in genkernel if not already.
23
24 And specify disk partitions as root=LABEL=FOO where FOO is the label
25 you used for root filesystem. Do not forget to update fstab with the
26 same (using labels).
27
28 Here's my fstab for a sample and grub.cfg (grub2); posting only relevant lines.
29
30 FSTAB-
31 LABEL=Gentoo / ext4
32 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
33
34 grub.cfg-
35 linux /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.4.4-gentoo-ck2
36 real_root=UUID=90e64854-d65c-4419-a629-4e2ca621a7a0 ro
37 real_rootflags=noatime,discard,data=writeback rootfstype=ext4
38
39 Since I use grub2-mkconfig to generate the configuration, it's there
40 with UUID, but it works with LABEL as well, I have tried it.
41 Also, *don't* build your kernel *without* initramfs, because the
42 kernel by default doesn't support mounting by LABELs or UUIDs (I think
43 so, I've had failures w/o initrd).
46 Nilesh Govindarajan
47 http://nileshgr.com