From: Andrew Randles <ehud42@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problem with doing a system restore
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:26:11
Hi everyone I was hoping someone would have suggestion for me.

My hard drive was going bad so I bought a new one and put it in.
Instead of doing a complete reinstall I used dar and a usb harddrive
to do a backup of the system.  I then used a gentoo live cd (2004.2 or
3) and to get everything setup and copied over.  That worked well and
up until I had to chroot in and take care of the grub setup.

I keep getting glibc errors with "symbol erron" when I try to run
env-update, ls or emerge commands.

When I run grub root (hd0,0) it says no such drive or device.  My
/dev/ folder in the chrooted environment is empty.

The system is a 2.6 kernel with 2.6 headers.  I wonder if maybe I need
an updated cd.

Does anyone else have anymore ideas.
Thanks,
Andrew