From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] php database character set
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 03:56:36
1 On 05/25/2014 11:36 PM, Joseph wrote:
2 >
3 > Yes, it worked, and I get:
4 > CREATE DATABASE `catalog_sys` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 */
5 >
6 > so it looks OK I think.
9 Yeah, looks good. Here's what I'm using as a test case. Your columns
10 aren't regular 'char' types, are they?
11
12 mysql> CREATE DATABASE utf8_test;
13 Query OK, 1 row affected (0.02 sec)
14
15 mysql> CREATE TABLE dummy ( name varchar(255) NOT NULL );
16 Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.05 sec)
17
18 mysql> INSERT INTO dummy ( name ) VALUES ( 'Bâtiment' );
19 Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
20
21 mysql> SELECT * FROM dummy;
22 +-----------+
23 | name |
24 +-----------+
25 | Bâtiment |
27 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
28
29 Are you running your tests from the command line, or through phpMyAdmin?
30 If it's the latter, it could be PHP's fault and not MySQL's.
31
32 Related: I don't think this has anything to do with your current issue,
33 but just as a PSA, "utf8" in mysql doesn't support all of unicode:
34
35 http://mathiasbynens.be/notes/mysql-utf8mb4