From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] su doesn't work for me.
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:50:14
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:32 on Monday 11 April 2011, Mark Shields
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Alan McKinnon
5 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
6 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:28 on Sunday 10 April 2011, Dale did
7 > > opine
8 > >
9 > > thusly:
10 > > > > That was it! I've now got su-ability from that normal user.
11 > > > >
12 > > > > Funny, though, on my (very) old Debian system I don't seem to have a
13 > > > > wheel.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Thanks.
16 > > > >
17 > > > >> Best regards,
18 > > > >> Yann
19 > > >
20 > > > I think that is a Gentoo thing. It does add some security if you don't
21 > > > want a user, like maybe some little kid, getting root access for any
22 > > > reason.
23 > >
24 > > No, it's pretty standard across Unix.
25 > >
26 > > The BSD's for example have had it since forever - members of the wheel
27 > > group
28 > > being allowed to sudo anything only came along much later.
29 > >
30 > > Leaving it *out* is a Linux-distro thing, probably from the usual usage
31 > > case
32 > > for Linux for many years - a server on the web that actually only had one
33 > > user
34 > > even though it was capable of being fully multi-user. The concept of
35 > > wheel for
36 > > su is pretty redundant in that case.
39 > > --
40 > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
41 >
42 > Wheel has nothing to do with su; it has everything to do with sudo, but
43 > only if /etc/sudoers is edited to allow the Wheel group sudo access. Su
44 > is for changing to a different user, or running a command as another user;
45 > doing either requires the password of that user; sudo, on the other hand,
46 > only requires your password, if you're in the wheel group and the wheel
47 > group is given full sudo access, and the sudo access for wheel requires
48 > your password.
49 >
50 > Some examples, assuming your user (the one you're logged in as) is in wheel
51 > and requires a password for sudo access (see: visudo):
52 >
53 > sudo su <--- escalates you to root user with your own password. This is
54 > running "su" with "sudo".
55 > su user <--- switches to "user" with their password required to be entered
56 > sudo su user < -- switch to "user" with your password required to be
57 > entered sudo <command> <-- runs command as root
58 > sudo -u user <command> <--- runs command as "user"
59 > sudo su - user <--- escalates you to "user" and cd's to their home
60 > directory
61 >
62 > Please read the man pages for sudo and su for more info.
63
64 Mark,
65
66 You know better than that. Re-read my post, I said that *Unix*, most
67 especially the BSDs, have had a concept of wheel for, well, since almost when
68 Unix started. sudo came much later and for sudo, wheel is naturally a very
69 useful pre-existing thing to use.
70
71 If Linux distros, maintainers or the GNU folk chose to not implement wheel
72 membership as a prerequisite for su, then that's fine. They can do what they
73 want with their stuff but it doesn't change the fact that other operating
74 systems can, and do, do it differently.
75
76 I have read man su and man sudo. Many times. I see that the ones I have are
77 very Linux-centric.
78
79 Google "wheel su" for more info, keeping in mind that Linux != Unix
85 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com