From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel does not boot after adding a new SATA drive
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 00:02:40
1 On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 12:38:40AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 18:22:54 -0500, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
3 >
4 > > > grub-mkconfig doesn't care about the fstab of the running distro
5 > > > since it scans your drives for all operating systems it can boot.
6 > > >
7 > > Sorry if I missed something in this tome, but I was under the
8 > > impression that a seperate utility, os-prober (or something similar),
9 > > was needed to scan outside of the current partition. Some distros do
10 > > not include this type of utility by default, but it has been 3 years
11 > > since I installed my Gentoo and I just don't remember. Is this
12 > > off-topic?
13 >
14 > os-prober scans for Windows and other non-Linux installations.
15
16 That's true, but it seems to imply it does not scan for Linux, which is not true
17 to my understanding.
18
19 os-prober is just a shell script, but a little dense for me to make conclusions
20 of; maybe you can make sense of it, if you have it. However, the Ubuntu people
21 say this:
22
23 "30_os-prober This script uses os-prober to search for Linux and other operating
24 systems and places the results in the GRUB 2 menu.
25
26 1. The file's sections include options for Windows, Linux, OSX, and Hurd."
27
28 The full quote is here:
29 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup
30
31 My point was just to see if this information was helpful to the OP. Like I
32 said, I kind-of lost track of this thread. If it's not helpful, that's fine.