From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why multiple versions of java-config, automake, and autoconf?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 18:46:15
1 * Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Ah, but you see, in half the cases there is not a /complete/
4 > incompatibility. PHP4<->5 migration is not an entirely big switch,
5 > the biggest problem IIRC in the 4->5 change is the way it handles
6 > classes, and a lot of code 'simply works' on both.
7
8 I had to do a lot at that front. Believe me, they're NOT compatible.
9 Just nearly compatible. So different.
10 For those packages where it really doesnt matter, we simply could
11 use an virtual.
12
13 Sama for java.
14
15 <snip>
16
17 > In the case of autoconf, im personally glad it all hides under one
18 > non-linear space-time-continumum on my harddrive ;) . The thought of
19 > them all being in seperate ebuild names would drive me nutty ( folder
20 > with 10 different package names for the same thing = wtf? )
21
22 What "folders" are you tallking about ?
23
24 <snip>
25
26 > The argument of 'cleaning' was a problem for a little while, but im
27 > glad the kernel uses slotting, for the reason I dont want to have a
28 > seperate ebuild for different kernels, i dont want old kernel sources
29 > to be taken away when the new one turns up, and when i want to get rid
30 > of old kernels, i want to be able to do a nice and simple emerge -C
31 > <=some-version to get rid of them when im done with them.
32
33 Okay, that's good point where slots are really useful.
34 But I'm sure there could be other good solutions.
35
36 > The same occurs in many of the web-applications, where multiple versions
37 > are handy, but multiple ebuild names would cause headaches.
38
39 hmm, they're an special things, since we can have many instances
40 of the same application here. but I never had the need to have
41 multiple versions of one webapp (source) installed.
42
43 > the only way to get around all these nasties would be to have a 3 part
44 > package name imo, such as
45 > dev-libs/gtk/2/2.0.1.ebuild
46 > dev-libs/gtk/1/1.0.1.ebuild
47 > for instance , and when you look at it like that, it is in essence
48 > identical to 'slots', except a 'slot' is governed by a string in the
49 > actual file, instead of a string in the filename.
50
51 Well, if the slot number would be an part of the package atom name,
52 it would be half as bad.
55 cu
56 --
58 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
60 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
61 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
62 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
63 http://patches.metux.de/
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list