From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan Warren <bluemoonshine@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] removing an overlay
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:33:46
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 06:25 on Friday 20 August 2010, Alan Warren
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I've just sync'd my machine, and realized I'm pulling in a few packages
7 > from the devnull overlay that I would rather not. freetype / fontconfig /
8 > cairo for example and it's causing
9 > some conflicts when I try to update (-auvND world). I mainly use devnull
10 > for uzbl, dmenu, and my window manger awesome, as they tend to have the
11 > latest versions.
12 >
13 > If I remove devnull, will these packages continue being maintained by
14 > portage? I don't mind getting these packages from portage if it means less
15 > hassle when I update, but the docs
16 > suggest that I remove every package that I've installed from devnull before
17 > moving forward. This seems like a tremendous hassle, but perhaps there's a
18 > one-shot command for doing this?
19 >
20 > I'm surprised packages in overlays take precedence over portage. Is there
21 > any way to get a single package from an overlay without taking "everything"
22 > ?
23 >
24 > Kind regards,
25 > -Alan
26
27 There's no one-shot command because it's a series of actions.
28
29 layman - devnull
30 emerge -av1 <list of stuff from devnull>
31
32 portage won't nuke your packages just because you remove the overlay, it still
33 has the ebuild locally. portage will only update them once the version in
34 portage is greater than the version you got from the overlay.
35
36 emerge -pv @installed will then show packages you do not have ebuilds for
37 (amongst other useful info) with portage-2.2*. You can then decide what you
38 want to do about those missing packages.
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com