From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody want to beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:23:31
1 On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 07:52, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Nov 16, 2011 3:21 AM, <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>  The more scenarios we can test, the better.  mdev might shave a second
6 >>  or two off the VM's bootup time, versus udev.
9 > Okay, I have two staging VMs on XenServer and one on VMware. I'm going to
10 > report back what happens. If anything bad happens, *should* be an easy
11 > rollback to the previous snapshot.
14 1st Report: amd64-hardened on XenServer, PV-mode
15
16 Booted okay. There's 1 (one) red asterisk but it booted so fast I
17 can't see what that asterisk was about. `less /var/log/rc.log` did not
18 show anything...
19
20 ... but I realized that I can scroll up on XenServer console, so I saw
21 that the asterisk said:
22
23 * Error: fopen(/lib64/rc/init.d/rc.log) failed: No such file or directory
24
25 Nothing serious though. I think it was because /lib64/rc/init.d got
26 overlaid by rc-svcdir during boot, so rc.log disappeared.
27
28 (Doing `mount -o bind / /mnt/rooot && ls /mnt/rooot/lib64/rc/init.d`
29 showed that rc.log existed in the non-overlaid /lib64/rc/init.d)
30
31 /dev/xvdb* (which was not created statically in the non-overlaid /dev) appeared.
32
33 /dev/xvdd appeared when I attached an ISO image to the VM.
34
35 mount /dev/xvdd /mnt/cd worked. I could `ls /mnt/cd` and see the
36 contents of the CD.
37
38 "Ejecting" the ISO image made /dev/xvdd disappear (as it should).
39
40 Networking is okay.
41
42 The Xen virtual console (hvc0) works okay.
43
44 `rc-update | grep dev` showed `udev-postmount` still part of default,
45 so I did `rc-update del udev-postmount default` and rebooted, and all
46 were still well (and still a glint of red asterisk).
47
48 Unmerging udev went well.
49
50 All in all, rebooting after switching to udev *seems* to be faster.
51
52 Rgds,
53 --
54 FdS Pandu E Poluan