From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Touble with linux-headers
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:58:11
1 On Montag, 30. April 2007, Holla wrote:
2 > On 4/30/07, Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Montag, 30. April 2007, Holla wrote:
5 > > > Hello,
6 > > >
7 > > > I would like to install my own version of the kernel (2.6.18.3)
8 > > > which i have compiled and installed. This is working fine.
9 > > >
10 > > > But when I try to do 'emerge system', portage is
11 > > > trying to emerge linux-headers also. How can I prevent
12 > > > it ?
13 > >
14 > > why? Why do you want to prevent it?
15 >
16 > OK, I get it now. I was under the (wrong) impression that
17 > the kernel headers should match the kernel installed.
18
19 sometimes, if there is a new feature, it makes sense, but usually, it really
20 does not matter. Some distributions even use headers which are derived from
21 2.4 kernels. AFAIR Redhat did that for a long time.
22
23 > So, if portage is trying to install linux-headers-2.6.17
24 > it is because that is the stable headers for 2.6, right ?
25
26 exactly.
27
28 > I even went to the extent of doing a
29 > make headers_check
30 > export INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr
31 > make headers_install
32 >
33 > in the kernel build directory.
34 >
35 > I see this is stupid now..
36
37 well, they (the kernel devs) are working on the headers to make
38 them 'userspace save'. When this work is finished, it will be the right thing
39 to do. But this is still way in the future - I would not expect this to work
40 really well before the end of the year.
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list