From: Brian Davis <bridavis@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lightwheight Gentoo System
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:37:36
1 I've also used -O2 on my Pentium 2 Celeron system without any problems.
2
3 I used to run -Os back on my Pentium 200Mhz days, and that works fine
4 too ;).
5
6 Honestly, however I never did any benchmarking between the different -O
7 settings on any of these machines, so I'm not sure they were the best
8 setting to use. These were recommendations I'd gotten from the forums.
9
10 Caveat: there is no GUI involved on either of these systems, just
11 headless servers.
12
13 Thanks,
14 Brian
15
16 Chris Frederick wrote:
17 > Karl Huysmans wrote:
18 >> Hi All,
19 >>
20 >> A friend asked me to install "some" operating system on an old Dell
21 >> laptop
22 >> he got for free.
23 >>
24 >> The laptop has a pentium 2 400 MHz, 6 GB HD and 256 MB RAM, and will
25 >> be used
26 >> by his young children.
27 >>
28 >> I have tried to install Edubuntu on it, looks nice, has a lot of very
29 >> usefull stuff for kids, but it really runs too slow on this machine.
30 >>
31 >> So I was thinking Gentoo, optimized for PII, I guess -Os would be a good
32 >> option for this little machine. Any thoughts anyone?
33 >>
34 >> What about the desktop? I guess Gnome or KDE is not really the best
35 >> choice.
36 >> But what else could I use? Of course, it's for kids, so I have to be
37 >> able to
38 >> make it look nice :-) What would be a good window manager? File manager?
39 >> Other applications that help to keep it lean an fast?
40 >>
41 >> Anyone with any experience building such a system under Gentoo?
42 >>
43 >> Thank you
44 >>
45 >> Karl
48 > I've got an old NEC and Thinkpad that I use for VNC clients to my
49 > server. I've also loaded a "bare bones" desktop system in case I take
50 > them out somewhere.
51 >
52 > I've loaded fluxbox, dillo, spruce, mplayer, and some assorted games
53 > (pysol, xbomb, xtris, etc...) Surprisingly this system responds
54 > better then my Win2k server at work.
55 >
56 > I have a dual xeon server that I did all the building on, then I just
57 > boot the laptop to the minimal cd and partition drives and use the tar
58 > file from my server in place of the stage3. Then just load grub,
59 > reboot, and you just saved yourself days of compiling.
60 >
61 > I used -O2 for compiling, and since I use my server to do all the
62 > building from, I delete /usr/portage before I load it on the laptops.
63 > this puts me around ~850M for a complete system (My laptops only have
64 > a 2G/3G hard drives with 96M/128M ram).
65 >
66 > Chris Frederick
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list