From: Francesco Riosa <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] slotted mysql ready for testing (~arch)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 02:20:51
1 As the subject say,
2 In less than 24 hours slotted mysql ebuilds will be unmasked, to point
3 the finger they are:
4 =dev-db/mysql-4.1.16-r30
5 =dev-db/mysql-5.0.18-r30
6
7 There is a migration guide [1] that explain some of the magic, thanks to
8 the editors: Chris White, Jan Kundrát, Joshua Saddler to make it human
9 readable, beat me instead if it broke your box.
10
11 A third one, mysql-5.1.4_alpha-r30, as you can guess this will stay
12 masked (and yes I did noticed many days ago that 5.1.5 has been
13 released, just rename the ebuild if you want to give it a try).
14
15 The un-slotted counterparts will disappear from the tree at the same time:
16 =dev-db/mysql-4.1.16
17 =dev-db/mysql-5.0.17
18 =dev-db/mysql-5.0.18
19
20 The following will survive, without being slotted, either because too
21 old or because they are the last marked stable in the portage tree.
22 =dev-db/mysql-3.23.58-r1
23 =dev-db/mysql-4.0.25-r2
24 =dev-db/mysql-4.0.26
25 =dev-db/mysql-4.1.14
26
27 At the end February the mysql herd will cooperate with the arch's teams
28 to test and mark stable the following:
29 =dev-db/mysql-4.0.26
30 =dev-db/mysql-4.1.16-r30
31 =dev-db/mysql-5.0.18-r30
32 at that point in time older version will be removed too (3.23.58 is
33 another story).
34
35 Last notice:
36 emerge -pv =mysql-5.0.18 =mysql-5.0.18-r30
37 Calculating dependencies ...done!
38 [ebuild NS ] dev-db/mysql-5.0.18 USE="berkdb cluster extraengine
39 max-idx-128 perl ssl utf8 -big-tables -debug -minimal -static" 0 kB
40 [ebuild R ] dev-db/mysql-5.0.18-r30 USE="berkdb cluster extraengine
41 max-idx-128 perl ssl -big-tables -debug -minimal -srvdir -static"
42
43 As you can see the non-standard "utf8" use flag has been removed,
44 nothing bad, it was a easy replace in the my.cnf config file from
45 "latin1" to "utf8" and vice-versa.
46 the "srvdir" is easy too, it add support for "datadir" in
47 "/srv/localhost/mysql" but only for fresh install (see glep 20)
48
49 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mysql-upgrade-slotted.xml
50 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0020.html
51 --