From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs >
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:23:36
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 15 December 2010 09:55:37 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 12/15/10 09:40:48, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi again,
7 >>>
8 >>> For those mot up to date. I built a new rig that has a Nvidia GT220
9 >>> card in it. I bought a brand new monitor this morning, a LG W2253,
10 >>> and
11 >>> it worked one time. I had to reboot to move some things around and
12 >>> when
13 >>> I rebooted, the GUI doesn't come up. The BIOS screen shows up and I
14 >>> can
15 >>> see the services start up as well but when it switches to vt7, it
16 >>> just
17 >>>
18 >>> has a little blinking cursor at the top.
19 >>>
20 >> Have you changed the kernel? The nvidia-drivers (as well as the ati-
21 >> drivers) have to be re-emerged after (nearly) any change to the kernel.
22 >> Just re-emerge it, unload and reload the corresponding kernel module
23 >> and try again to startx.
24 >>
25 >> Helmut.
26 >>
27 > Also, when emerging the "nvidia-drivers", try making sure that
28 > "/usr/src/linux" points to the actual linux-sources you are booting from.
29 > (Not sure if necessary, but I always have that symlink to the current kernel)
30 >
31 > --
32 > Joost
36 That I know is important. Since this is a new build, it only has one
37 kernel installed and it is pointing to the right one. Good call tho.
38 That would cause problems for sure and could be easily forgotten.
39
40 Thanks.
41
42 Dale