From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] who needs Java ?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:27:43
1 On Mon 15 August 2011 07:17:55 Philip Webb did opine thusly:
2 > I looked at updating to the latest Libreoffice 3.4.2.3
3 > & found it wants to install a long list of deps,
4 > many of which seem to be caused by my 'java' USE flag.
5 > As a result, I checked my home-made list of installed pkgs
6 > to see which were part of Java & why they seemed to be needed.
7 > Not a few proved to be unnecessary today,
8 > but the rest depend on 4 underlying pkgs,
9 > ie Libreoffice Cups Libidn (for KDE 3 , which I want) Db (for
10 > Libreoffice).
11 >
12 > If I remove 'java' from make.conf ,
13 > which features will I lose in LO Cups KDE3 ?
14 > Is there anything else I've overlooked ?
15
16 I removed java from my USE for LO (plus gnome and gtktoo) and have not
17 yet seen any ill-effects.
18
19 The last time I read a definitive statement on Java for OOo was early
20 in the 2.0 series, then it mentioned database connectivity as the
21 prime thing that used it. That's connectivity as in Base, the Access-
22 like db front-end thingy
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com