From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portable Gentoo (Pen Drive Linux)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:26:40
1 On 22/03/2014 15:12, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > On 22-Mar-2014 6:39 pm, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 22/03/2014 15:00, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
6 >> > On 22-Mar-2014 5:42 pm, "Brian Hesdorfer" <zerophnx@×××××.com
7 > <mailto:zerophnx@×××××.com>
8 >> > <mailto:zerophnx@×××××.com <mailto:zerophnx@×××××.com>>> wrote:
9 >> >>
10 >> >>
11 >> >> On 3/21/2014 9:53 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
12 >> >>>
13 >> >>> Hi,
14 >> >>>
15 >> >>> Since I don't have a laptop, I'm thinking of installing Gentoo on my
16 >> >>> USB 3 pen drive. I'll use binpkgs from my desktop so that pen drive
17 >> >>> lives long.
18 >> >>>
19 >> >>> Has anybody tried Samsung's F2FS? I heard it performs better than the
20 >> >>> traditional ext4/xfs/etc on flash drives.
21 >> >>>
22 >> >>> Also the pen drive will be used on random hardware (which can be a
23 >> >>> laptop or a desktop), so what else do I need to consider other than
24 >> >>> using genkernel's default configuration (the livecd config, which
25 >> >>> enables all modules)?
26 >> >>>
27 >> >>
28 >> >> FWIW, I've been F2FS plus encryption with Arch and haven't had any
29 >> > problems. I'd suggest having anything important backed up somewhere else
30 >> > since it's still seen as experimental (I think).
31 >> >>
32 >> >
33 >> > Of course. Pen drives are as such not very reliable, so backups are
34 > a must.
35 >> >
36 >> >> If you're using it on random hardware and want X, you'll have to
37 >> > include the variety of video cards you might run into (Intel, ATI,
38 >> > Nvidia) in your USE flags.
39 >> >>
40 >> >
41 >> > Will it work out the box without configuration?
42 >> >
43 >> >> Also, be wary of the predictable naming for network interfaces
44 >> > (enp5s0, enp9s2,etc). You might want to disable that feature using
45 >> > something like "net.ifnames=0" in your bootloader or a udev rule so you
46 >> > can just set eth0 to DHCP and it will work on most machines.
47 >> >>
48 >> >
49 >> > NetworkManager helps with that, or may be just run dhcpcd.
50 >> >
53 >> I suspect you will end up duplicating a lot of work that is already done
54 >> elsewhere by the binary distros. You'll probably also have your hands
55 >> full just trying to keep up with video hardware as you'll need at least
56 >> intel, fglrx and nvidia drivers (plus maybe nouveau and radeon).
57 >>
58 >> Are you 100% sure you want to go that route? Sounds like a huge amount
59 >> of work. In your position, I would rather investigate a LiveCD type
60 >> solution with a persistent fs layer on top and let the distro do all the
61 >> heavy lifting.
62 >>
63 >> Especially as you don't have the target hardware to hand for testing,
64 >> you can only test by plugging the stick and seeing if it works.
69 >> --
70 >> Alan McKinnon
71 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
75 > I realize those problems, and that's why I've stayed away till now. I'm
76 > running Fedora currently on the pen drive.
77 > But the unmatched flexibility of gentoo is tempting me.
78 >
79 > For example, 3.13.5,6 have problems with USB 3 storage. I've patched the
80 > kernel on my desktop and it's working fine.
81 > Such things are against mainstream distros.
82 >
83 > What other distros are suited for this use case?
87 I don't really know, but that's because I too use Gentoo almost
88 exclusively, nothing else satisfies my OCD need to tweak everything
89 exactly right :-)
90
91 Pen drives tend to be slow so I think a great hulking monster like
92 Fedora won't suit the use-case.
93
94 You'd need something smaller and lighter, designed for lower end systems
95 I think.
96 Perhaps check out DistroWatch and try out a few? IIRC they have search
97 and filters that can help pick out the more lean distros
103 Alan McKinnon
104 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com