From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video database software
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 02:53:49
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2019.01.28 19:01, Dale wrote:
3 > [snip.....]
4 >> I'll look into f-spot tho.  It may work well for my camera stuff
5 >> too.  Who knows.  What package does that come with?  I can't find a
6 >> f-spot here.  Eix didn't help either.
7 > F-spot isn't currently packaged anywhere.  It fell into a period of
8 > lack of maintenance, and had too many build bugs, so most/all distros
9 > dropped it.  I didn't want to change, so I started figuring out how to
10 > build it myself.  My current version continues to work, but I have not
11 > been able to build a new version in over a year.  I can sometimes
12 > build it under other distros with more up-to-date dotnet stuff.  If I
13 > ever find something like a flat-pack version, I'll let you know.  If
14 > you really want to try, the source is at https://github.com/f-spot/f-spot
15 >
16 > Don't underestimate your scripting abilities.  It might take learning
17 > a bit, but you've done that before :-)   Start with modifying your
18 > grep line so the path to file and grep result are on a single line,
19 > you can append them to a big file (one line per video with full path
20 > to video, the size, and some other (hopefully consistent text).  You
21 > can import that into a libreoffice spreadsheet.  Even if it's only one
22 > column to start, you can search/replace to change the static text to a
23 > comma or something to separate items, then to "text to columns."  Then
24 > you can sort.  I think LO can handle ~20K rows, but you could always
25 > move/convert it to LO Base (it's simple database - sort of like
26 > MS-Access).  Still just use the spreadsheet interface, but underneath,
27 > it's better able to handle the volume and sorting.
28 >>
29 >> Thanks for the idea.
30 >>
31 >> Dale
32 >>
33 >>  :-)  :-)
34 >
35 > Jack
39 I knew I'd heard of that before.  I didn't realize it was outdated tho.
40
41 Trust me, my scripting is awful.  I have a script that I use to backup
42 my /home directory.  I wanted to add a section that will make sure the
43 external drive is mounted first and stop if it isn't.  I googled, found
44 some nifty examples.  Sort of makes sense, sort of.  Still no clue how
45 to make it work for me tho.  lol  So sad.
46
47 Some things I get and can pick up fast.  Some things I can't quite grasp
48 no matter what I try.  Scripting seems to fall into that last category.
49 It's pathetic.
50
51 Dale
52