From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers not seeing symbol font
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:45:24
1 On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:38:31 -0700
2 "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >> 2. Character encodings are easy: use Unicode. :)
5 >> http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html
6 >
7 > Yes they're easy. My question is about whether they have any effect
8 > on use of Symbol So far I see no evidence of it.
9
10 They shouldn't, since such fonts' glyphs aren't aligned with any
11 encoding afaik - it'd be rubbish, at best.
14 > It works in MS Works, Dreamweaver and on Gentoo, in OpenOffice.
15
16 Well, it also works for me, if I change 'Symbol' to 'Luxi Mono', for
17 example, which is a valid font name on my system.
18
19 Since handling of such stuff as font-family is defined by browser, it's
20 at best unwise to rely on 'Symbol' font definition, and, while IE6 is
21 still around, even more so.
22
23 You can use any decent font-rendering library to make
24 browser-independent representation of such stuff, which is probably the
25 only solution if you care whether end-user can see it or not.
28 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net