From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID-1 on secondary disks how?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 20:48:59
1 On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 3:37 PM Grant Taylor
2 <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 01/29/2019 01:26 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > Uh, an initramfs typically does not exec a second kernel. I guess it
6 > > could, in which case that kernel would need its own initramfs to get
7 > > around to mounting its root filesystem. Presumably at some point you'd
8 > > want to have your system stop kexecing kernels and start actually doing
9 > > something useful...
10 >
11 > Which ever type of initramfs you use, the kernel that you are running
12 > MUST have support for the minimum number of devices and file systems it
13 > needs to be able to load other things.
14
15 Certainly, which is what I've been saying. And what you've been saying as well.
16
17 > Hence the difference between
18 > built-in and modular drivers that I'm talking about.
19
20 The kernel doesn't care where the driver came from. If you want to
21 put root on ext4 then the kernel needs ext4 support. It doesn't
22 matter if it is built-into the kernel or in a module stored in the
23 initramfs.
24
25 > And where is it going to load them from if said kernel doesn't support
26 > initrds or loop back devices or the archive or file system type that the
27 > initramfs is using?
28
29 Why would you use an initramfs with a kernel incapable of using an initramfs?
32 > > Sure, and those are in the kernel that runs the initramfs.
33 >
34 > Not if they aren't compiled in.
37 Sure, in that case they would be in modules. I don't really get your
38 point here.
39
40 > I feel like this (sub)thread has become circular and unproductive.
41
42 Clearly...
45 Rich