From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install CD sees 2 ethernet ports
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 04:43:14
1 On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 01:08:19PM -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote
2
3 > >I think eth0 is your FireWire port (IEEE 1394).
4 > >
5 > >You did the right thing already (taking eth0 down). Now you can
6 > >install Gentoo and unless you configure support for Ethernet over
7 > >FireWire (or something similar) in your kernel you shouldn't have any
8 > >problem.
9 > >
10 > >That was my experience anyway (with a different Asus board, but the
11 > >same behavior).
14 > Louis is right, you can also disable this behavior by adding
15 > "nofirewire" at the bootloader line that calls the kernel.
16
17 Thanks Daniel and Louis. With "nofirewire" the boot messages showed 2
18 eth devices, but the real ethernet chip now comes up as eth0, which is
19 what I wanted.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
23 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
24 --