From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thin-provisioning-tools - but I don't provision anything!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 22:31:40
1 Am Freitag, 15. September 2017, 23:43:15 CEST schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
2 > On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 23:38:21 +0200, Marc Joliet wrote:
3 > > Am Freitag, 15. September 2017, 23:15:05 CEST schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
4 > > > Yes, but do I want it to go away? What is it, what does it do?
5 > > >
6 > > > OK, let's try emerge -s thin-provisioning-tools. We get back only
7 > > > patronising garbage, namely "A suite of tools for thin provisioning on
8 > > > Linux" - well, duh! Who write's this stuff?
9 > > >
10 > > > So, WTF is thin provisioning?
11 > >
12 > > I'm tempted to ask whether google is down or something, but I'm tired and
13 >
14 > > waiting for 7z to finish so here you go anyway:
15 > For me, google is permanently down.
16
17 I use Duckduckgo, myself.
18
19 > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_provisioning
20 >
21 > Yes, I've read it, thanks. My question above was somewhat rhetorical.
22
23 OK
24
25 > > I would say you probably don't need to care about it.
26 >
27 > I do. I need to spend time and effort removing it. It sounds like
28 > something only useful in servers, yet I have a desktop profile installed.
29 >
30 > There's something not quite right, here.
31
32 As Alan and Neil already mentioned, it's set by default in the ebuild (i.e.,
33 "+thin" somewhere in IUSE, which you can also see in the output of eix).
34 You'd have to ask the maintainer why that is, though.
35
36 HTH
37 --
38 Marc Joliet
39 --
40 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
41 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup