From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 05:46:54
1 On 12/04/2016 07:38, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Well, I went and did it. On one hand, it's sort of nice. Seems to be
5 > faster in a way. On the other hand, I want to wring its neck. I used to
6 > have 10 virtual desktop thingys. I was organized like a OCD King here.
7 > Well, that seems to have left the building. Google informed me that
8 > "activities" is the new thing. No more virtual desktops.
9
10 Not true. I have 6. Add the Virtual Desktop widget to the panel
11
12 >All righty
13 > then. Then I keep getting a pop up that plasma is dying and needs to
14 > restart. It happens quite a bit. I think I need a fly swatter. ROFL
15 > It seems to do that when I try to use that panel thingy at the bottom.
16
17 Not true. Stable here
18
19 > Also, I had a saved session that when I logged in, everything went where
20 > it was supposed to be. After I logged in, I was ready to get to it.
21 > Well, it must have found a open window because it is gone too. Did Bill
22 > Gates open that window??? o_O It seems to use a LOT of memory too. It
23 > shows I'm using 11GBs out of the 16GBs I have. O_O
24
25 No. KDE is not using 11G of RAM, that is ridiculous. KDE might be in a
26 position to *address* 11G of RAM which might be used for any of a number
27 of reasons - like caching every thumbnail you ever read in the session.
28
29 11G addressable out of 16G indicates that efficient use of your memory
30 is being made. What would be the point of having 16G and only ever using
31 say 1G?
32
33 > So!! Is there a really well written howto for this thing or something
34 > that one can read and sort of figure out where North is again? Right
35 > now, it's sort of making me dizzy. I need something quick but at the
36 > same time, gets me off to a start. Linkys would be wonderful. I found
37 > this so far.
38
39 It's a bit too new for proper howtos.
40
41 > https://www.linux.com/learn/how-use-kde-plasma-desktop-pro
42 >
43 > The biggest things. Can I have a saved session again? Or have it save
44 > my activities or something that when I login, it starts most everything
45 > itself without me digging around and doing it manually? That would help.
46
47 That part doesn't seem to work too well. I get most of my apps back at
48 restart, but on the wrong desktop, and non-kde apps are not remembered.
49
50 Solution: I never switch the computer off. Desktop just stays running,
51 laptops get suspended.
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com