From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem with lowest CPU load, acceptable emerge performance, and stable?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 07:54:52
1 On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 05:15, kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 9/7/2011 5:25 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Well, for all my other servers, I standardized on ext4.
5 >>
6 >> Since a vFirewall have to perform lots of packet-juggling, I'd rather
7 >> dedicate the CPU time to the kernel rather than the HD I/O.
8 >>
9 >> Of course, a vFirewall needs to be updated every now and then, but
10 >> everytime an update is called for, it should not overly tax the CPU
11 >> and degrade the netfilter framework.
12 >>
13 >> Rgds,
14 >
15 >        You are making my point for me, but not realizing the end result of
16 > the logic. There isn't any filesystem change that is going to affect CPU
17 > usage by more than a few percentage points in the use case you've described.
18 > Rsync, portage, and gcc use a massive amount of CPU compared to the amount
19 > the filesystem changes will use other than brief points during the rsync.
20 > Additionally most benchmarks are testing filesystem throughput and comparing
21 > it to CPU. Because disk IO isn't under pressure in your scenario you're
22 > unlikely to see the pathological use of CPU that can highlight the
23 > differences between filesystems.
24
25 Gosh, you're right! (And Jesús' reply also remind me).
26
27 What was I thinking >.<
28
29 >        That said, you have a few reasonable choices.
30 >
31 > 1. Move to a binary distro
32 > 2. Use buildpkg on a clone of this server and only install packages on your
33 > Firewall.
34 > 3. NFS mount /usr/portage when you need it and dist build on another server
35 > 4. Don't upgrade
36 > 5. Get a firewall server with more CPU so that it doesn't matter
37 > 6. Script a new firewall server install every x months and swap it into
38 > place and drop the original server.
39 > 7. Some combination of the above.
42 I think I'll do (6). Attach a HD to another VM, install a similar
43 system on that HD (chroot-ed, of course), update that regularly, make
44 a stage5 (or 6 or whatevs) of the (ch)root, then do a 'tar xJf' on the
45 firewall proper.
46
47 So, a different scenario, then: Sometimes I need to log stuffs (via
48 ULOG) or do a tcpdump. Will JFS give me additional benefit to ext4? Or
49 should I just stick with ext4?
50
51 Rgds,
52 --