From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:00:21
1 It's time to switch hosts. I'm looking at the following:
2
3 Dual Xeon E5-2690
4 32GB RAM
5 4x SSD RAID10
6
7 This would be my first experience with multiple CPUs and RAID. Advice
8 on any of the following would be greatly appreciated.
9
10 Are there any administrative variations for a dual-CPU system or do I
11 just need to make sure I enable the right kernel option(s)?
12
13 Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
14 install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
15 controller?
16
17 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
18
19 Since RAM is so nice for buffers/cache, how do I know when to stop
20 adding it to my server?
21
22 Can I count on this system to keep running if I lose an SSD?
23
24 Is a 100M uplink enough if this is my only system on the LAN?
25
26 Is hyperthreading worthwhile?
27
28 Any opinions on Soft Layer?