From: Hans de Hartog <dehartog@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Several questions -- various topics
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:27:46
1 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 > Good Morning All:
3 >
4 > I have several little projects that I would like to sweep up as we
5 > approach the holidays, and would like some input from the community.
6 >
7 > 1. On my laptop, I keep the nics off by default, and start them as I
8 > need them. The wired nic is started by /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start, and
9 > the wireless uses wifi-radar. Both have to be called from a root term.
10 > While this is effective, its not necessarially efficient, or
11 > particularlly good looking when im working with (non linux) people
12 > around (I'm the director of our IT department, and perception that I
13 > have it together is important -- even if its not all together true :)
14 (just answering what's above).
15
16 I've done a neat script for my laptop that distinguishes when I'm
17 using wifi (ifconfig "sees" the ath0 interface) and in that case
18 uses ath0 to get an ip-adress via dhcp and serves whatever systems
19 are on the wired side (eth0) as dhcpserver and do the masquerading for
20 them.
21 When my wifi card is not inserted (or switched off for built in
22 wifi's?), my laptop acts as a client on the eth0 side (getting an
23 ip-adress as dhcp-client).
24 All iptables-stuff is changed according to the situation. Run this
25 script in the boot level because it changes the default level stuff!
26 You problably have to change things w.r.t. ip-adresses and iptables
27 preferences.
28
29 Have fun with it!
30 Hans