From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting Question...
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:59:43
1 On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:50:33 +0000
2 "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I set up a server system a little while ago, and in performing updates
5 > to portage it ran out of disk space as I didn't quite allow enough
6 > space on the root partition (3.8 GB). As a result, I took a partition
7 > that I had cleaned up (this was from a rebuild of a system that was a
8 > different distro in the past) and moved over /usr/portage to it. It's
9 > a 47 GB partition (as reported by df -h) and the system works fine.
10
11 47 Gigs is quite a lot of space for the portage tree. The ebuilds
12 take up a few hundred megabytes, and the distfiles generally fill up a
13 few gigs by the time you get everything installed (i recommend you keep
14 them around, if you plan to share portage with others). The amount of
15 space you provide is overkill -- but more importantly, I worry that you
16 may need to reclaim some of that 47GB to use for your root partition,
17 as 3.8GB isn't a particularly large amount for this, especially if you
18 have /var on that partition as well.
19
20 I generally go 5 or 10 gigs for a root partition, the latter being more
21 appropriate for a general purpose graphical workstation. My shared
22 portage tree has been deployed for quite a while now and is about 5.4
23 gigs, with roughly 5G of that accounted for by distfiles.
24
25 > I am now thinking of converting my desktop over to Gentoo as well, and
26 > was wondering whether what I did above on the server was wise or not.
27 > I will be using the server as the portage provider for my desktop too.
28 > Otherwise, what is the recommended space to have available for the
29 > portage tree in /usr/portage so I can have root as an appropriately
30 > sized partition?
31
32 I believe that sharing portage between computers is wise whenever the
33 client is guaranteed to have access to the tree when new programs are
34 required. In other words, it works great for desktops. The
35 configuration might come back to haunt you if you are off your own
36 network and need to install a new program on your laptop.
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list