From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:34:20
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Gentoo is the best distribution I have used (I haven't used too many:
4 > ubuntu, fedora, gentoo). I love the USE flags. I love watching (and
5 > questioning) what is going to be installed. I love emerge.
6 > Supposedly gentoo lacks being able to have a system "just work"
7 > without thinking about anything. But in my experience on linux, this
8 > simply isn't the case anywhere. With ubuntu, for example, I had
9 > trouble with sound and ethernet cards that I could never figure out...
10 > and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane ("my
11 > uncle once said that his cousin typed this magical command and it
12 > worked fine for a little while so maybe try that").
13
14 That's how I felt, too, in 2003 or 2004 when I first installed Gentoo,
15 and I've been using it ever since and still feel the same way. I've
16 tried other distros but Gentoo feels the most natural to me. I'm okay
17 with more responsibility in exchange for more control over my system.
18
19 Yeah, sometimes it makes you think about what you're doing more than
20 some other distros, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Thinking is
21 fun.