From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lockdown: free/open OS maker pays Microsoft ransom for the right to boot on users' computers
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 13:29:47
1 On Wednesday 06 Jun 2012 20:50:38 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 > > This is my CPU, a first generation i7:
7 > >
8 > > cat /proc/cpuinfo
9 > > processor : 0
10 > > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
11 > > cpu family : 6
12 > > model : 30
13 > > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
14 > > stepping : 5
15 > > microcode : 0x4
16 > > cpu MHz : 933.000
17 > > cache size : 6144 KB
18 > > physical id : 0
19 > > siblings : 8
20 > > core id : 0
21 > > cpu cores : 4
22 > > apicid : 0
23 > > initial apicid : 0
24 > > fpu : yes
25 > > fpu_exception : yes
26 > > cpuid level : 11
27 > > wp : yes
28 > > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
29 > > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
30 > > syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
31 > > xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est
32 > > tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dts tpr_shadow
33 > > vnmi flexpriority ept vpid bogomips : 3192.11
34 > > clflush size : 64
35 > > cache_alignment : 64
36 > > address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
37 > > power management:
38 > >
39 > > You note that "power management:" above is empty.
40 > >
41 > > grep-ping the /proc tree for remoteaccess does not bring up anything.
42 >
43 > According to Intel's site, your processor has the vPro "feature" in it.
44 >
45 > http://ark.intel.com/products/43122/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Processor-(6M-Cache
46 > -1_60-GHz)
47 >
48 > Can you find the device you noticed under /sys?
49
50 No, nothing when I search for remote or remoteaccess or access ...
51
52 If this Intel AMT, or vPRO thingy is outside the MoBo chipset then it may not
53 get probed or be accessible by the kernel?
54
55 But then, how does lshw see it?
56
57 *-remoteaccess UNCLAIMED
58 vendor: Intel
59 physical id: 2
60 capabilities: outbound <--what does this mean? O_O
61 --
62 Regards,
63 Mick